Public Relations Student Socity of America Student Spotlight -- Samara Chatters

Capital University has many fantastic opportunities for growth in your chosen field. A feature at Capital that is unique to the rest is the Convergent Media Center (CMC). The CMC is home to many organizations, one of the most notable being the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA).  

Recently, I was given the opportunity to interview Samara Chatters, an Interdisciplinary Studies Major focusing on Public Relations and Media here at Capital University. I was so excited to speak with her about her experiences with Capital and how she has grown in the Public Relations field. Samara is the Current President of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) at Capital University. 

Why Capital?

When asked why Samara would choose Capital University to gain her degree, she said it felt like she was home on campus, “I immediately felt this presence of hope, love, and community.” She said, “This school really appreciates me!” She continued, “There are great educators, students, and just a great community all around.” 

How Did You Get Involved In PRSSA?

During this discussion, I inquired about what drove Samara toward Public Relations and how she eventually got involved with PRSSA. Samara explained how she never expected to find her place in Public Relations, “I went through a lot of phases in my life where I was unsure, and I realized while at Capital that I didn’t want to do just anything. I want to pursue my true passion. Which is to create.” She shared with us that with Public Relations, she could be creative and work towards a degree that she felt fit her best. “I feel like Public Relations can lead me into so many different avenues.” 

What Has Been Your Biggest Learning Curve?

Later, I requested that she share her most significant learning curve in pursuing this field. Samara confidently told me, “Just trust yourself.” Samara recognized this can be a struggle, verbalizing that when you’re creative, overthinking just comes with the territory. It’s easy to nitpick yourself, but confidence in your work is crucial. 

What Projects Does PRSSA Support?

I asked Samara if she could talk more about the projects that PRSSA has participated in and how this has benefited her. Samara said, “Since joining PRSSA, I have gotten to do a lot; this has led to me making connections in the PR field.” She continues to share that PRSSA has allowed her to gain additional opportunities in the field she is learning to navigate. “In the summer, I will attend the National Leadership Assembly. I’m very excited to meet new people at this event, learn more about this profession, and be creative in this scope”. 

How Has PRSSA Helped You?

Samara shared with me how PRSSA helped her. “It has helped me to network; putting the title of PRSSA on your resume shows everyone that you are part of an organization with a reputation for being a force in the PR field”. Samara shared some advice she has learned while being in this position. “When you feel something tell yourself: “I want to do this,” but you’re unsure, take that risk and see what happens. Just start creating for yourself; you never know what can happen.” 

Enjoy what you're reading?
Get content from The Daily Lobo delivered to your inbox
Subscribe

How Can Someone Join PRSSA?

Finally, how could a person join PRSSA at Capital University? There are a few ways one could join the Capital University Chapter:

1. Contact Dr Lois Foreman-Wernet by email.
  2. A prospective member could message the PRSSA Capital Instagram @CapitalPRSSA to join.
  3. Capital University holds organization fairs twice yearly, and one can find the PRSSA table.
  4. We meet in the Convergent Media Center and are always looking to find more passionate individuals interested in this field.

Don’t be afraid to take the next step towards furthering your career in the Public Relations Field. 

Speaking with Samara Chatters was a delight. I was thrilled to hear more of her perspective on the Public Relations Student Society of America at Capital University and how vital this organization is to young professionals growing in the Public Relations Field. 

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 Convergent Media Center