Hope Kerr.jpg

Spring 2024 Music Technology Student Spotlight- Hope Kerr

Have you ever been interested in producing, recording, or mixing music? If so, Music Technology is the major for you! With five world-class recording studios, keyboards, microphones, labs, suites, and more, the CMC provides so much equipment for students to make their dreams a reality. In order to gain more insight on the amazing things offered, we met with a fellow Music Tech student.

Tell us your name, your role, and how you became interested in Music Technology.

My name is Hope, I am the president of the Audio Engineering Society and a Music Tech student. I became interested while dabbling through audio engineering/music production in high school and then a friend told me about the program.

What do you love about Music Tech? What is your favorite memory?

There is so much to the program! We get to network with people around and outside of campus. We have guest speakers come in that work on really big projects including a Capital University graduate who currently drums for Taylor Swift! Also, we have had people come in who’ve mixed for Dolly Parton and James Taylor.

One of my favorite memories comes from my first year. A third year student invited me to join his session where I found one of my favorite band Snarls recording a song they now have released!

What challenges/learning curves have you faced in Music Tech?

One of the biggest problems that I’ve faced is that since there are so many different sides to Music Technology you can get a project you aren’t specifically interested in, however all of those projects help you learn.

What continues to motivate you in Music Tech?

The people! I’ve met really great people in this program. It’s really fulfilling to see us work alongside each other as we are growing in our different strengths. 

Can you describe one of the hands-on activities you got to do through Music Tech?

I have helped out with various concerts we’ve had on campus. We put on this show called the Full Moon Fest where I did lots of work setting up things like the stage and the PA equipment. My band and I got to play in the show which was really awesome!

Enjoy what you're reading?
Get content from The Daily Lobo delivered to your inbox
Subscribe

What is something you think students not in Music Tech might be surprised to learn about the program?

One thing people might be surprised about is that all the equipment and multiple studios we have, you get to use basically right away. They want you to be super hands on with the equipment so that you can learn how to use it. I was even doing my own sessions in one of our studios my second year.

How has the Music Tech program helped you in the professional world?

The knowledge I gained really set me apart at the job I’m at now. I have been able to network with so many people around the world through this job. I wouldn’t have this position if it wasn’t for the program and I foresee myself being at this music company well past graduation.

For more information click here

https://www.capital.edu/academics/majors-and-minors/music-technology/

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 Convergent Media Center