Kelcie Schnitzler.jpg
Kelcie Schnitzler

Community Engagement Spotlight -- Kelcie Schnitzler

With several different organizations to choose from, the community engagement area has plenty of benefits to offer. These different organizations provide many meaningful engagement opportunities around campus and outside of it too. Capital provides this program to help students become leaders, take responsibility, and overall, be more involved in the community. A student who exemplifies this area is Kelcie Schnitzler, who is a Criminology major and has plenty of experience with community engagement at Capital. 

Tell us your name, and what organizations you are in.  

“My name is Kelcie Schnitzler and I've been accepted into a few of our organizations here.” She mentioned her role on the executive board as “treasurer of student—athlete advisory committee” and she is the “new risk management DEI and philanthropy chairman of Phi Sigma Sigma.” She also plays on the softball team at Capital. However, Kelcie still has many more aspiring goals, one she mentioned was being on the “board for Circle K international next year.”  

How do you balance your active community engagement with other obligations?  

Simply put, Kelcie found a routine that worked for her and followed it. She mentioned that she knows her workload in the fall is lighter without softball obligations and she can participate in several other engaging areas at Capital. In contrast to her spring schedule, which includes softball, but she recommends “trying to get ahead with scheduling and doing most things on the weekends.” 

What do you love about the different community engagement areas you are in? 

She replied, “I love giving back to the community that has supported me so much since I've been here at Capital” as well as, “loving the outcome of how my impact has been on people and seeing their bright smiles and lives being changed.”  

What is your favorite memory?  

Kelcie said her favorite memory was within her criminology course for juvenile justice. Furthermore, this memory became a special one to her when she went to the “JIC and tutored kids in the facility,” the reading area specifically, and she loved seeing that they enjoyed the book they were reading.  

What challenges have you faced so far?  

A big challenge she faces is when softball conflicts with her other obligations. However, she tries to make a good effort when she can’t be there by saying “Hey guys, I'm sorry I can’t be here, but please let me know if there's anything I can do, or I'll give you ideas in advance.” Another challenge she currently faces is planning specific events like “the sapphire sway and planning around Greek week” within her sorority. Which she mentioned can be difficult with other time—restricting schedules.  

Speaking with Kelcie was such a pleasure. Our conversation gave me more insight into how Capital has positively affected the students here with several community engagement organizations. While hearing all about her experiences, it proved that this is still a vital and growing area for students.  

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 Convergent Media Center